Abraham: God’s Friend
Cutting family ties (Gen 12:2f)
– Why is it that when God calls there is often a “leaving” involved?
– Did only the Jews know God? Melchizedek king of Salem (Gen 14:17ff)
Cuts the animal (Gen 15:10, 17) Why?
– Union symbolized: as animal was one now we are one
– Acting out the curse: Jer 34:18f --solemnizing/ratifying the covenant
Cut flesh (Gen 17) On circumcision; Unconditional covenant (berit)—ratifying the covenant
– Abrahamic Covenant:
Land --promised land (Canaan; Palestine)
Seed (stars, sand, dust),
Blessing—all nationsà Jesus
1) Camels and critics: Gen. 12:16;
2) Hittites/Philistines and critics Gen. 15:20; 26:1 [2 Abimelek’s of Gerar; cf. Jabin]
3) Gen. 14:14 talks of “Dan” can’t be Dan—anachronism (Josh. 19:47; Judg. 18:29)
1) Eliezer of Damascus: adopted son (Gen 15:2)
2) Hagar-Surrogate Wife, Gen. 16 --Hammurabi’s code
– Caution on Criticizing patriarchs—telling/teaching or description/prescription or normative/non-normative distinction
– How badly does God get on Abraham’s case
3) Isaac: son of the promise -- laughter
4 Abraham Questions: 1) Well ah...she’s my sister?
Why do they always want to marry his sister? (Gen. 12, 20, 26 – 3X)
Custom: adopting sister -- protection -- marry her off
Bible and flawed heroes
2) Does God really interact with man?
Gen 18:26ff: Bartering with God
Is this real? Does foreknowledge really solve the problem?
Is this just anthropomorphic or anthropopathic speaking—so we can understand?
Can a human have impact on God?
3) Are all sins the same? Gen 18:21
Hospitality issue at Sodom.. the real issue?
– On recontextualizing the messages of Scripture
Is this homosexual rape? Lot’s daughters
Are homosexual acts sin? Lev. 18:22; Rom 1:26f; 1 Cor 6:9, 1 Tim 1:10
How should Christians react to homosexuals? --loving the sinner, hating the sin
4) How does God’s role toward Abraham change in Gen 22 (Akedah)? 3 levels of faith
Struggle for a son—Akedah (binding)
Rapid fire ... why no emotions shown? on good literature: God blesserà tester
Levels of faith
– Easy Faith
– Resignation faith
– Unreasonable pure faith—the precious
– God’s friend