Merland Miller, “Seven Theological themes in
GTJ 8.1 (1987) 131-40.
1. What are the seven
themes Miller derives from the book of Hebrews? (131)
2. What is the central concept of Hebrews 11?
3. What are some Christian uses of the term “faith” that were not found in the OT? (132)
4. What is the extra-biblical Greek meaning of “faith”? What nuance does it acquire?
5. What are some hortatory uses of the word “faith”? Why does Miller have a problem
with those meanings of “faith”? (132)
6. How does Miller prove “faith” is Christological contra Graesser? (133) As in Paul
what is the object of faith in Hebrews? (133)
7. What does the idea of perfection revolve around? (134)
8. Jesus is called the _______ and Perfecter of faith. (135)
9. How did Greek gods and Ancient Near Eastern (ANE) gods relate to the idea of
10. Usually in extra-biblical Greek is used of whom is it used?--Man to god or god to
11. In Hebrews what promise (to whom) is the promise apply and what new status does it
take on? (136)
12. What two theological themes are associated with “endurance” in Hebrews? (136)
13. What is contrasted with the Levitical order in Hebrews?
14. What is the relation of faith to endurance in Hebrews? (137)
15. What are several things that are said to be “better” in Hebrews? (138)
16. In Hebrews 12 it is said that they are surrounded by a cloud of what? (138)
17. How do the OT and NT concepts of inheritance differ? (139)
18. What were the readers of Hebrews being tempted to desert? (139) How do the major
themes that Miller sees play into arguing and warning against that temptation?