- Question: Was Luke a Doctor?
- Medical language? 4:38; 5:12
- Josephus too;
- Col 4:14—Paul calls him “beloved physician”
Luke Gentile or Jewish?
Jesus never speaks Aramaic
Hebrew names avoided (no Satan, Gethsemane or Golgotha), no
Grouped with Gentiles in Col. 4:10-14;
Acts 1:19—Aceldama, in their language,
Explains locations 1:26
OT quotes—mostly only in mouth of Jesus
Are Acts and Luke related?
- Acts & Luke both to Theophilus (28% of NT)
- Luke 1:1-4: Many have undertaken to draw up an account of
the things that have been fulfilled among us,
- Acts 1:1: In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all
that Jesus began to do and to teach (Act 1:1 NIV)
Luke and Acts related
- Former book: Acts 1:1 referring back to Lk.
- Not anonymous – Luke 1:3
- Picks up story where Luke left off
- Vocabulary (800 hapax legomena) and style similar
Luke 1:1-4 and Inspiration process
- Question: If Luke was not Jewish, not a disciple or not
an eyewitness who saw Jesus how does he get to write a gospel?
- What is the relation of inspiration and historical
research? [FRASES] Lk. 1:1-4
- Not FIRST hand information
- Does RESEARCH
- Many ACCOUNTS available
- SYSTEMATIC orderly account his goal
- EYEWITNESSES –keenly aware of
- SOURCES used by Luke
Where did Luke get his info.?
- Where did Luke’s get his information from?
Paul, Silas –2MJ
2 Years in Israel while Paul in prison in Caesarea
Peter and Mark at Rome (2 Tim. 4:11f)
Mary [1:29; 2:19,33, 51], in Israel while Paul was in jail at
Caesarea 2 yrs.
- Before Acts (65 AD) Paul still living awaiting first trial
- After 70 AD prophecy after the fact
Vaticinium post eventum Lk. 21:20f
- Set in Roman time frame: Lk. 2:1; 3:1
- Most excellent Theophilus—community or help in Paul’s case
Luke Characteristics (HH CD SSPPP)
- Holy Spirit (vid. John Bapt 1:15, Zacharias 1:67, Mary
1:35, Simeon 2:25f., Jesus 4:1; Acts 2)
- Humanity of Christ: 2:52 grew, 4:16
- Distinct—6 miracles, birth stories (Shepherds, Simeon,
Anna), 19 parables (chs. 9-18), unique stories-e.g. Zacchaeus, Road to
- 19 Parables unique: Good Samaritan, Rich fool’s barns,
Prodigal son, persistent widow/judge, Lazarus/Dives, Pharisee and tax
- Why did Jesus use parables? Mk. 4:12
- What is a parable: 4 types
Simile: kingdom like mustard seed
Example story: Good Samaritan
Parable story: Banquet
Hyperbole in some to make a point
Apocalyptic nature of some (sheep/goats; 10 bridesmaids)
How do you interpret parables?
- Jewish parables—Nathan to David (2 Sam. 12)
- Allegorically: early church—Good Samaritan
- One point: 19th century critical
- Apocalyptic versus realized eschatology
- Jesus seminar, ipssissima verba// ipsissma vox--red, pink,
grey and black words
- Re-reading the Good Samaritan (Lk 10:25ff)
- Rereading the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Why a lawyer? What’s initial question?
- Jesus shifting question?
- Questions on the Parable of the sower
Luke—Jesus--Savior of all
- Question: How does the story about Zacchaeus play off
Rich Young Ruler (RYR) story? Lk. 19
- What’s obstacle for Zach and RYR (Lk 18)?
- Zach and RYR both wealthy
- RYR keeps commandments // Zach violates them
- RYR counseled to sell all give // Zach volunteers to give
- Conclusion: RYR can wealthy be saved? Zach salvation is
come to your house today-play, Abraham
- Seeking inclusio: who’s seeking whom?
Zachaeus’ seeking to salvation
Savior of All
- 3:6 [a voice calling in the wilderness…] all have quote
only Luke adds “all flesh shall see the salvation of God.”
- Universal setting: Birth—Caesar Augustus census (2:1); 15th
year of Tiberius Caesar,… (3:1)
- Date problem: 2:1-7 1) no census? Quirinius census not
till AD 6 [Josephus]; 2) no travel to Bethlehem ordered??
Gloria in Excelsis 2:14
Nunc Dimittis 2:29ff
Emmaus road –Cleopas
Women & children
Evangel to poor: 4:16-19
Sell everything 3x—12:31; 14:33; 18:22(RYR)
Parables: rich fools barns (Lk 12),
Lazarus+Dives -- on heaven/hell reversal of this life (Lk 16)
Riches for good ends (Lk 8:1-3)
Prayer in Luke
- Prayer—8x Jesus (7 only in this gospel)
- Vending machine prayer: ask and you will receive (Mat
- The Jesus prayer (of tax collector)—18:13—humility in
- Woman and unjust judge 18:1-8-persistence in prayer
- Jesus in Gethsemane—3 times asks…remove the cup (Mat
26:36) –Paul thorn in flesh 2 Cor 12:7f
- Praying when it matters and when feel helpless: son in
Afghanistan (Twig, Canal, that mission).
- Jim Kinney’s Bryan with Leukemia
- Rebekah’s prayer and coming to Gordon
Heaven and Hell
- Lk 16:19ff: Lazarus and the rich man
- Contrasting descriptions in this life and the next:
reversals, who is named in the story?
Place of suffering, chasm (no escape), remembers brothers—Lazarus
- They have Moses and the prophets…
- Foreshadowing Jesus—one who came back from the dead
- Is heaven/hell the point? Does now matter
- Three words: Sheol (OT), gehenna, hades
- Jesus more on hell than on heaven: contra modern culture
(2nd chances, love, sin no big; always forgiveness therefore no
- Sheep/goats (Mat. 25)
- Mk 9:47ff—eye offends you; --worm dieth not, fire
- Mt. 7:22 Lord, Lord--depart from me,
- Mt. 23:23; better for Sodom than for X
- Rev. 20 lake of fire
- Luke 24:13ff
- Their understanding of Jesus: prophet, redemption of
- Jesus: prophets suffering à
Isa. 53 et al.
- Moses, all the prophets, Psalms = OT
- Breaking of bread à
- Their response and ours: 24:32