Getting Started with Genesis Questions (Beginning Level Only)
D:B:01:1 = D= correct answer;
01:= Lecture 1, 1 is a computer code (ignore)
1. What do the Jews call what we label as the Old Testament?
2. What does the “K” in TANAK stand for?
3. What does the title for the Law “Torah” literally mean?
4. The book of Psalms is in what section of the Jewish scriptures?
5. What section of the Jewish scriptures does the Torah describe?
A. The Prophets
B. The poetic section
C. The history
D. The Law
6. The Pentateuch refers to which books in the Old Testament?
B. Joshua-2 Samuel
17. What does “Pentateuch” literally mean?
A. Eight sources
B. Ten commandments
C. Four perspectives
D. Five books
8. What is the Septuagint?
A. A Greek translation of the Old Testament
B. A Latin translation of the Old Testament
C. An Aramaic translation of the Old Testament
D. A Hebrew commentary on the Old Testament
9. What is the best description of Genesis 1-11?
A. The beginning of everything
B. A universal history of human civilization
C. God’s creation
D. The reason for sin and redemption
10. All of the following were major characters in Genesis 12-50 EXCEPT
11. The seven days of creation describe the ______ and ______ of the universe.
A. Forming and filling
B. Beginning and destiny
C. Promise and fulfillment
D. Start and end
12. Genesis was written in opposition to what feature found in other ancient Near Eastern cultures?
13. What is the famous Latin phrase referring to the image of God in humankind?
A. Imagas Creatium
C. Imagium Morphe
D. Imago Dei
14. What tree were Adam and Eve not allowed to eat in the Garden of Eden?
A. The Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil
B. The Tree of the Covenant
C. The Tree of Life
D. The Tree of the Holies of Holies
15. What word breaks the book of Genesis into ten literary sections?
C. Toledot—the account of
D. Kai de – and then
16. All of the following are ancient Near Eastern documents paralleling with Genesis EXCEPT
A. Gilgamesh Epic
B. Enuma Elish
D. The Black Obelisk
17. How do the Mesopotamian documents portray their gods as opposed to the wise, moral God of the Old Testament?
A. Chaotic battles between the gods
B. Creating out of pre-existing material
C. Themselves created by nature
D. A divine council deciding how to make things
18. In the Abrahamic Covenant he is promised all of the following EXCEPT
A. His progeny/seed would multiply into a great nation
B. His descendants would get the land of Canaan
C. All humankind would be blessed through him
D. His descendants would be kings and rule forever
19. What did Abraham and Sarah struggle with?
A. Having no home
B. Sarah’s inability to have children
C. Famine in the promised land
D. Abraham’s attraction to Hagar his servant girl
20. What was a demonstration of Abraham’s faith?
A. His willingness to sacrifice Isaac
B. His willingness to marry Sarah
C. His willingness to fight against Abimelech
D. His confessing of God to Pharaoh
21. Who were twins born to Rebekah, Isaac’s wife?
A. Joseph and Benjamin
B. Jacob and Esau
C. Cain and Abel
D. Judah and Levi
22. Who did Jacob trick getting the blessing intended for his brother?
23. Who was Jacob tricked into marrying by Laban?
24. What does Jacob experience at Bethel when he first meets God?
A. A stairway to heaven
B. An angel whom he wrestles with
C. Esau trying to kill him
D. A vision of the heavenly council
25. Who are the direct parents of the twelve tribes of Israel?
A. Jacob and his wives
B. Abraham and Sarah
C. Isaac and Rebekah
D. Lot and his wife
26. What does the name Israel mean?
C. Father of many
D. Struggles with God
27. Who were the two favored sons of Rachel?
A. Judah and Levi
B. Joseph and Benjamin
C. Dan and Ephraim
D. Manassah and Gad
28. Where does Rachel die?
A. Outside of Bethlehem
B. Inside of Jerusalem
C. Near Hebron
D. At the well of Beersheba
29. Why is Joseph thrown into prison?
A. For not being able to interpret dreams for Pharaoh
B. For resisting the advances of Potiphar’s wife
C. For wanting to return to Israel out of Egypt
D. For being a foreigner and not loyal to Pharaoh
30. What was humankind charged with in the creation account?
A. To have dominion/rule over God’s creation
B. To obey and submit to the Lord their God
C. To keep the decrees and statutes of God
D. To care for the animals in the garden
31. What does Genesis present as the root of human identity?
A. We are made to multiply
B. We are made in the image of God
C. We are made to live with God
D. We are made to worship God
32. What is one of the main teaching of Genesis that is unique among the ancient cultures?
C. Forgiveness and love
D. Revelation from the divine
33. In what is election seen in the book of Genesis?
A. God’s wrestling with Jacob
B. God’s asking Abraham to sacrifice his son
C. God’s choice of Abraham
D. God’s redemption
34. What is a covenant as in the Abrahamic Covenant?
A. A truce
B. A promise
C. An altar
D. A sign
35. What is the Hebrew word for covenant?